Great wave sea.

Day 13. Miķeļtornis village – Sīkrags village.

SEE Worth seeing

Lielirbe

The village is situated on both banks (“jūrspuse” or “seaside” and “zemspuse” or “landside” in the dialect of the Western part of Latvia) of the Irbe River (also called Dižirve, Īra) extending for 6 km around where the river flows into the sea. In 1939, there were around 300 inhabitants and more than 70 houses in the village. A little narrow gauge train used to run through the village, connecting it with the center of the district, Ventspils, and Dundaga, Stende and further on to Riga.       At the estuary of the Irbe River, there used to be a port of the ancient Liv seafarers. This seacoast that is now so quiet with only 10 houses used to be an active timber trade and transport center at the end of the 19th century.

The Pedestrian bridge across the Ķikans Brook

The pedestrian bridge crosses the Ķikans Brook in a place where the narrow gauge railway used to run connecting Ventspils, Mazirbe and Stende; the locals call it the narrow gauge track. The railway was active up until 1963. When going via the track and the unpaved road by bike or on foot, you can even reach the bridge across the Irbe River on the road connecting Ventspils and Kolka.

Sīkrags village

One of the oldest Liv settlements that was documented as a village as early as in 1387. In the 17th century, a major small-scale port on the coast line of Northern Kurzeme was established here. At the end of the century, there were big warehouses of goods where 12,000 puhrs of rye were stored in 1690. There was also a “hotel” for seafarers. At the beginning of the 20th century, the buildings of the village became denser because small houses of fishermen and new farms were built.